More schools on Vancouver Island have been added to Island Health’s growing COVID-19 exposure list on Monday.
As of February 22, Island Health’s Exposures in Schools list consists of 11 facilities across Vancouver Island.
Monday morning saw the addition of Glacier View Secondary School in Courtenay, Aspengrove School in Lantzville and Chemainus Secondary School.
The reported exposure at Glacier View Secondary School – located at 241 Beecher Dr. in Courtenay – occurred on Feb. 17 and Feb. 18.
The reported exposure at Aspengrove School – located at 7660 Clark Dr. in Lantzville – occurred on Feb. 18 and Feb. 19.
The reported exposure at Chemainus Secondary – at 9947 Daniel St. in Chemainus – occurred on Feb. 8, 16, 17, and 18. The school had previously experienced exposure events last month.
The eleven facilities currently on Island Health’s exposure list include:
- Ladysmith Secondary in Ladysmith
- Glacier View Secondary in Courtenay
- Aspengrove School in Lantzville
- Chemainus Secondary in Chemainus
- Timberline Secondary School in Campbell River
- Glanford Middle School in Saanich
- Queneesh Elementary in Courtenay
- George P. Vanier Secondary in Courtenay
- Carihi Secondary School in Campbell River
- Nanaimo District Secondary in Nanaimo
- Bayview Elementary School in Nanaimo
According to Island Health, exposure is defined as a single person with a lab-confirmed COVID-19 infection who attended school during their infectious period.
Island Health notes that if a parent or guardian sees a notification on the health authority’s school exposure site, it does not necessarily mean their child has been exposed to COVID-19.
Island Health outlines that Public Health members work with the school and school district to ensure close contacts are notified directly and provided specific guidance.
If a parent or guardian does not receive a phone call or letter from Public Health, a child is able to continue attending school, Island Health notes.