CHEK currently has the following positions available:
CHEK News is looking for a News Director to lead Vancouver Island’s top news team into the future overseeing both on-air and digital platforms. It’s an exciting opportunity for someone with great ideas, a solid journalism background and demonstrated leadership skills.
As News Director, you take pride in the product and want others around you to succeed. You are driven to make a difference in your workplace and community. You are an innovator, with a proven ability to lead a highly motivated and talented news staff to produce compelling, relevant and timely content across platforms.
CHEK is the only independent, employee-owned television station in Canada and, through nine years of employee-ownership, is demonstrating business stability and success. CHEK News has the most watched on-air newscast and the highest online engagement of any news organization on Vancouver Island. CHEK News is supported by a solid journalism model for the future – independent, enterprising, deeply committed, and with all decisions made locally.
CHEK is based in Victoria, BC – one of the most desirable cities in Canada, with recreational opportunities and a lifestyle that is unmatched. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package aligned with the size of our market.
- University degree in journalism or related field
- Solid broadcast and online news management credentials
- Demonstrated leadership and organizational skills
- An innovator with an ongoing understanding of the rapid changes in the industry
- Ensure CHEK sets a high standard in news gathering and visual storytelling
- Provide direction, coaching and feedback to members of the news team
- Vet draft stories for style, accuracy, and compliance with ethical and legal standards
- Undertake planning for coverage of major events
- Analyze audience metrics to ensure CHEK is reaching its delivery potential on all platforms
- Recruit, nurture and retain top talent
- Work with management team and all employee-owners to achieve station wide success
The News Director reports to General Manager Rob Germain.
CHEK Media Group