A Nanaimo woman says she’s 99.9 per cent certain she’s sick because she drank tainted milk. Last wee, Agropur Cooperative recalled a number of products from its Victoria facility. But it was a warning that she didn’t get soon enough. Kendall Hanson reports.
A Nanaimo woman says she’s almost 100 per cent certain she fell ill after consuming recalled milk.
Tanja Heipel said she had a bowl of cereal on Saturday evening and 20 minutes later she fell ill.
“I had cramping and pains in my belly, ” says Heipel. “Soon after that I had to go to the bathroom and had substantial diarrhea and it turned all bloody and this was very scary.”
She had eaten the cereal before without any problem but the milk was new.
It was poured from a 4 litre jug, from Natrel. She had bought it shortly before it expired and put it in the freezer.
The next morning she realized it was on an extensive voluntary recall list Agropur had issued for products from its Victoria facility.
“So I checked the milk I had used the day before and of course it was exactly the kind that is recalled.”
Heipel said the company, Agropur Cooperative, should reveal what’s potentially in the recalled milk.
“It’s psychological stress because it could have long-term effects,” Heipel said. It could be a slow poison. Nobody tells you what it is.”
“It could be a slow poison. Nobody tells you what it is.”
She’s filed a complaint with Agropur Cooperative as well as the RCMP.
Her symptoms have subsided.
On June 15, Agropur said foreign material has been found in some of the products but at that point, no injuries or illnesses had been reported.
Heipel said she doesn’t blame the company because they didn’t intend for this to happen.
The company said the RCMP is conducting a criminal investigation into how the foreign substance entered the recalled milk products.