A woman was taken to hospital following a fire at a residence in Parksville.
At approximately 9:15 p.m. on March 12, firefighters with Parksville Fire Rescue responded to a structure fire at a home on Evergreen Street.
Parskville fire chief Marc Norris told CHEK News crews were able to quickly contain and extinguish the blaze.
“It appears to have started in the kitchen,” he said.
The sole occupant of the home, a woman, was transported to an area hospital for smoke inhalation and minor burns.
Norris said the fire isn’t considered suspicious as it appears to have been caused by an unattended pot on the stove. He said it is important for people to have working smoke alarms and always be nearby when cooking items on the stove.
“Working smoke alarms save lives,” he said. “Also, stay in the kitchen when cooking, don’t leave items on the stove unattended.”