Just in time for the Canada Day long weekend, the City of Campbell River has lifted a campfire ban that was put in place last week. Officials say the recent rainfall and cooler temperatures have meant a drop in the fire danger rating. People are permitted to have campfires and beach fires again. Recreational fires are once again allowed that are:
- for cooking or providing heat;
- in a permanent outdoor fireplace, barbeque or fire pit not larger than 60 centimetres (24 inches) in diameter, and designed and constructed to confine the fire;
- or within a fully enclosed burner or similar device;
- with appropriate supervision and means of extinguishing the fire at hand;
- beach fires below the high-tide line as fires are not allowed on public land, or private property other than your own.