File photo (City of Colwood) Colwood Fire Rescue

File photo (City of Colwood

Colwood Fire Rescue is thanking some quick acting citizens after they extinguished a stove top fire at a home in a townhouse complex.

Crews from View Royal and Colwood were called to a home on the 300-block of Wale Road just before 3 p.m. Saturday after receiving reports of smoke coming from a residence.

They arrived to find that neighbours , who also spotted the smoke, had put out the fire with a small household extinguisher.

“I really have to thank the neighbours, without quick action it could have led to a lot tougher fire to fight,” said Scott Abrahamson, fire captain at Colwood Fire Rescue.

Officials determined it was caused by something cooking being left unattended.

There were no injuries but the fire burnt some cabinets and cause minor smoke damage. it will likely result in those living in the home being displaced for a few days.

Emergency social services were also dispatched to help those impacted.

CHEK News