The man charged earlier this month with murdering 16-year-old Makayla Chang appeared in a Nanaimo courtroom via videoconference today.
Steven Bacon was identified by RCMP as a person of interest early in the investigation. The 60-year-old is currently in jail in Thunder Bay, Ont. awaiting trial on multiple charges, including sexual assault and incest.
Today’s appearance ensures he won’t be released from jail in Ontario, but instead will be sent to B.C. to face the murder charge.
“We did an appearance today via video from Ontario to ensure that Mr. Bacon is under the jurisdiction of the courts of British Columbia,” said Nicholas Barber, Crown Counsel.
Bacon showed no emotion during the 12-minute hearing. He was wearing an orange jail-issued sweater that was rolled up to his elbows. His only words spoken to confirm that he could hear the judge and that he did have counsel.
Makayla Chang’s father, mother, and grandmother attended the hearing.
It was the first time they’ve seen Bacon since the 16-year-old went missing in March of 2017.
“Kind of made my skin crawl just to see him,” said Kerry Chang, Makayla’s father, “We’re just happy to see that it’s finally moving along. Three-and-a-half years is a long time to be waiting.”
Police have not released details about the case, including when Makayla was killed. But now the prosecutor says she was murdered on or about March 17.
“That was the date that Makayla was first missing. We don’t know if that’s the actual date when she was killed,” said Kerry Chang.
“I think my mom last had contact with her on the 21st again. It was just by text message so it’s never been confirmed if it was actually her sending the message or not.”
Bacon remains in Ontario and will next appear in a Nanaimo courtroom on the murder charge on October 19th.