Police, ERT enter home in Duncan, apprehend man after 3.5 hours of unsuccessful negotiations

Police, ERT enter home in Duncan, apprehend man after 3.5 hours of unsuccessful negotiations
Leanne Wasden
Members of the ERT at the scene in Duncan

RCMP in Duncan have apprehended a man after he refused to let police inside a home during three-and-a-half hours of negotiations.

North Cowichan / Duncan RCMP says it was contacted by a Duncan resident on Wednesday, April 14, who was worried for the safety of a friend after going to deliver some food.

When at the home, the caller noticed some “unnerving” behaviour from the friend, the homeowner, who when asked, said they “were not okay.”

After saying this, the adult son of the homeowner began yelling, telling the visiting friend to leave.

RCMP officers arrived at the residence on Cowichan Lake Road just after 4 p.m. and attempted to talk with the residents inside to make sure everyone was safe.

Through their interaction, officers confirmed there were two people in the house but they were not able to enter the residence to check on the occupants.

The members made a decision to back away from the house to not rile the agitated man anymore, said North Cowichan RCMP Detachment commander Inspector Chris Bear.

For the safety of all of those in the nearby area Cowichan Lake Road was blocked, and some nearby residents in an apartment were evacuated. The negotiators worked for almost three and a half hour to have the man exit the house on his own without success.

Just before 8 p.m., police entered the home in order to ensure the safety of all of the residents.

After a brief struggle with police, the adult son in the residence was apprehended and was later taken to a nearby hospital for treatment and a full medical evaluation.

The homeowner was also in need of medical assistance but suffered no injuries from this incident.

The complainant did the absolute proper thing in calling the RCMP in this situation, said Vancouver Island RCMP spokesperson Corporal Chris Manseau. Their decision to immediately call police allowed two people in need of immediate medical attention to get necessary treatment.

Police say investigators continued to remain at the scene for some time after the incident. During their search, police found an unloaded firearm and several knives, all of which were seized.

As of Thursday, the man is still receiving medical treatment, RCMP telling CHEK News that “he will be for some time.” There is no information if any charges will be laid and when that might happen.

The North Cowichan / Duncan RCMP says it thanks the surrounding community for their patience as police recognize that nearby residents were displaced and that travellers were diverted from their usual routes.

READ MORE: Child dies at motel in Duncan, police investigating

Rebecca LawrenceRebecca Lawrence

Recent Stories

Send us your news tips and videos!