One man was arrested after three men were injured during a violent home invasion in Nanaimo on Sunday morning.
Nanaimo RCMP were called to a home in the 600-block of Howard Avenue around 7 a.m. for a break-in. Police believe several suspects broke into the home, assaulted the three men and fled in a vehicle.
The three victims, ranging in age from 23-47 were taken to a local hospital and released later that same day. One man had been hit with a bat in the head and body, police said.
At around 10 p.m. that same day, Nanaimo RCMP officers arrested a 19-year-old man in the south end of Nanaimo for break and enter, assault with a weapon and disguise with intent. He was released on a promise to appear in court on March 13 in Nanaimo.
Police have not released his name at this time.
The Nanaimo RCMP would like to reassure the public this incident resulted from an ongoing dispute between a group of young adult males, and is in no way connected to the fatal shooting from the day prior nor is it connected to drugs or organized crime in Nanaimo or elsewhere, Const. Gary O’Brien of the Nanaimo RCMP said in a release.
Nanaimo RCMP are still looking for the other suspects. Anyone with information is asked to call Nanaimo RCMP at 250-754-2345 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.