The man who fled the scene of a fatal multi-vehicle crash in Ladysmith hasn’t been charged yet.
In late August, a Ford F-150 pickup truck was travelling southbound went over a concrete median on the Trans-Canada Highway near Ladysmith and collided with SUV heading in the opposite direction, killing Katie Blogg, a 35-year-old mother of two.
Blogg was pronounced dead at the scene while the driver of the F-150, a man in his 30s according to police, fled the scene by stealing a nearby vehicle, resulting in a five-day manhunt that ended with his capture at a campsite near Nanaimo.
The man was arrested on unrelated charges on Sept. 2 and has remained in police custody ever since, according to the BC RCMP.
Sgt. Janelle Shoihet, a senior communications officer with the BC RCMP, told CHEK that the man has not been charged in connection to the fatal crash in Ladysmith. She said that’s because the investigation is still ongoing and cases such as these are time consuming and complex.
“The investigation is not yet complete. When the investigation is complete the findings of the investigation will be sent to the BC Prosecution Service to make a determination of appropriate charges,” said Shoihet. “Major Crime Investigations such as these are complex and take significant time to undertake and make ready for charge assessment, this process remains on-going.”
Though the man was arrested on unrelated charges, he cannot be publicly named as the person involved in the fatal crash because he hasn’t been charged in that case, explained Shoihet.
“Only in very exceptional circumstances could a person be named if they had not been charged,” she said.
BC RCMP had previously said they were planning on recommending a handful of “very serious” charges including criminal negligence causing death, failure to remain at the scene of an accident causing death.
Under the Canadian Criminal Code, an individual convicted of criminal negligence causing death or failure to remain at the scene of an accident causing death can be sentenced to life in prison.
Meanwhile, a GoFundMe campaign established for the Blogg family has raised more than $135,000 since it was established on Aug. 31. All donated will go towards the future education of Gracie, Harrison as well as a “loving memorial” for Blogg.
To view or donate to the fundraiser established for the Blogg family, click here.