WATCH: Thick dark smoke was visible over much of Duncan on Saturday night after a quick-moving fire destroyed a home. Ceilidh Millar reports.
A house was destroyed in Duncan on Saturday night after a fire ripped through the residence.
Duncan volunteer firefighters attended the structure fire in the 1000-block of Trunk Road just before 10:00 p.m.
“It was a huge fire,” said neighbour Marty Daniels. “It went up in seconds.”
The quick-moving fire completely destroyed the property, leaving homeowner Richard Leduc and his family without a place to live.
“Everything is gone,” Leduc explained.
Leduc says the blaze began after a generator caught fire in the garage.
Two others were also home at the time as well as four animals, but everyone managed to get out safely and there were no reports of injury.
“We all got alive, safe and uninjured,” said Leduc. “We’re really lucky.”
One neighbour said his apartment complex next door was also evacuated in fear the fire could spread.
“I didn’t hear anything and then all of a sudden when I got out, I could see the fire and it was huge,” Daniels said. “It completely gutted the house in seconds.”
Others in the area say there were reports of unlawful activity at the house.
Leduc says he contacted authorities to try and evict someone who he says was illegally living on the property.
“I did what I could to try and make others aware that things were not right in this house,” explained Leduc. “I needed some help and now here we are.”
Leduc, now left to pick up the pieces, says he’s just grateful no one was hurt.