The Capital Region District (CRD) and Island Health are advising the public that Beaver Lake has tested positive for the presence of potentially toxic blue-green algae.

Thursday’s announcement from the CRD says that the algae are known cyanotoxin producers, and ingesting water containing these toxins can cause headaches and abdominal pain in humans, and can lead to lethal liver damage in dogs.

Visitors to Beaver Lake are advised to avoid swimming and to keep pets leashed around the lake, to prevent them from swimming or drinking the water, until further notice.

Beaver Lake has previously tested positive for the presence of toxin-producing algae. A testing in January 2019 at Beaver Lake came back negative.

Visitors can check for updates on the advisory and other CRD notices at

Tim Ford