A 16-year-old youth has been charged with manslaughter in the fatal pedestrian collision that occurred earlier this week, according to Saanich police.
The incident took place at approximately 3:50 p.m. on Tuesday, when a 34-year-old man was struck and killed by a commercial truck in the 3400-block of Douglas Street, near Uptown mall.
Investigators determined that the victim had been in a fight with another individual prior to the incident at the bus stop near the corner of the intersection at Douglas Street and Saanich Road that, police say, ultimately led to the man’s death.
One man was arrested at the scene and taken into police custody.
The driver of the truck is not being investigated and is cooperating with authorities, Saanich PD said.
“It’s tragic that someone’s lost their life in a very public way with several people involved,” said Const. Markus Anastasiades on Wednesday. “It’s very traumatic for not only the officers attending, for the first responders attending but also the public that witnessed the event that happened very quickly and suddenly and resulted in a traumatic ending.”
The 16-year-old who has been charged with one count of manslaughter will not be named by police because he is protected under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.
The matter is before the courts and there is no further information to be released at this time.
Anyone with more information on the incident is being asked to call the Vancouver Island Integrated Major Crime Unit (VIIMCU) Information Line at (250) 380-6211.