The Victoria Fire Department has reported significant smoke damage after a kitchen fire broke out late Sunday afternoon on Amphion Street.
“When we got here, the smoke was coming through the front window but there were no flames. It essentially burnt itself out,” said Victoria Fire Battalion Chief Vince Cullen Sunday.
The blaze was reported at 4:46 p.m. and when crews arrived at 1636 Amphion Street they found thick dark smoke in the upper level of the home.
The smoke was coming out of the vents in the roof.
Three engines, one rescue truck and two ladder trucks were on the scene along with a command vehicle.
Firefighters gained entry to the house by forcing a door open and saw that an unsupervised pan on the stove is what started the blaze.
“We heard some crackling just as the roof caved in there,” said one neighbour who called 911. “Just sort of noticed this orange glow and thought it was a weird new light and then [we] realized it was flames.”
Fortunately, the family, a couple and their three children, triplets, were out of the house at the time.
The Victoria fire department says the home is deemed inhabitable.
“The homeowner had mentioned that he possibly left some oil on the stove and forgot, left the oven off,” added Cullen.
The fire spread to the upper cupboards, but responders contained it to the kitchen area.
Along with the smoke damage, there is also water damage from putting out the fire.