Unconscious person rushed to hospital after fire breaks out at Colwood home

Unconscious person rushed to hospital after fire breaks out at Colwood home
Firefighters contained damage and pulled one person to safety after a fire broke out at a Colwood home early Thursday, April 7, 2022;

A person who was found unconscious in a burning home in Colwood and rescued by firefighters is expected to recover, according to authorities.

Colwood Fire Department received a call at 1:47 a.m. Thursday reporting a house fire in the 3300-block of St. Troy Place.

Firefighters were on scene within seven minutes, including crews from View Royal and Langford fire departments.

Two people were inside the home at the time, and while the bottom floor occupant managed to get out safely a resident on the second floor was found unconscious and pulled to safety. Firefighters then performed CPR on the patient on the front lawn. Paramedics transported the resident to hospital, where they are said to be recovering but will otherwise be OK.

Officials say the blaze likely started in a top-floor bedroom. They were able to contain the flames and prevent further damage to the home.

In all, 20 firefighters responded including three fire engines, one ladder, one rescue unit and three fire chiefs.

“While no firefighters were physically injured in the response, the toughest part of a firefighters’ job is rescuing a civilian from a burning building. The heart of every firefighter who attended is pulling for that individual,” Colwood Assistant Fire Chief Greg Chow said in a statement.

Fire investigators as well as West Shore RCMP continue to investigate the blaze and have not said whether it is considered suspicious or accidental.

Hannah LepineHannah Lepine

Recent Stories

Send us your news tips and videos!