The trucking community is coming together to honour an eight-year-old Nanaimo boy who was struck and killed while riding his bike earlier this month.
Linden Baglo passed away on Jan. 6 in hospital, after being hit in the 1000-block of Nelson Street in Nanaimo by a truck.
The idea for a convoy came out of a conversation between Linden’s stepfather, who is a truck driver, and his friend and fellow driver Peter Fry.
“I thought “challenge accepted”,” said Fry.
He says he eventually got in contact with two other men: Duane Tommy and John Plumpton. Along with the help of a Facebook page the event started to grow.
“That’s when it started snowballing,” said Fry. “Being a truck driver we thought all us fellow brothers and sisters could come together… [and] I thought we would have 5-10 trucks but then when I got on the Facebook page “convoy for Linden” it got off from there.”
He says there are 50-60 vehicles of all shapes and sizes planned to attend, from highway and gravel trucks to military vehicles.
The convoy will start meet at the overpass between the Duke Point Highway and Highway 1 around 11:30-45 a.m. Sunday and depart at 12:15 p.m.
They will make their way up Highway 1 and take a right at the lights on Comox Road, they will continue around downtown on Front Street before they go back up Highway 1.
They will finish off with making a loop around the Vancouver Island Conference Centre where a public service for Lindon is planned at 1 p.m.
A group from Victoria will meet at Ice Cream Mountain before the Malahat and depart at 9:30 a.m. to make it up to Nanaimo.
“I think of my own kinds, I couldn’t imagine what a parent would go through,” said Fry.
“I’m glad we could do something for a fellow driver… his mother has thanked us personally.”