Tax levy to be implemented to pay for Nanaimo hospital projects

Tax levy to be implemented to pay for Nanaimo hospital projects
File photo

Regional District of Nanaimo residents will see a tax levy implemented to help pay for equipment and projects at the hospital and health-care facilities.

The hospital board adopted a $48.1 million budget for 2024, which includes $3.5 million for equipment and minor projects and $6.1 million for debt servicing on major capital projects.

The Nanaimo Regional Hospital District supports the Nanaimo Regional General Hospital, Oceanside Health Centre, Dufferin Place in Nanaimo, Trillium Lodge in Parksville and Eagle Park Health Care Facility in Qualicum Beach.

The board is responsible for providing 40 per cent of funds for capital equipment and projects, while the Province through Island Health provides the remaining 60 per cent.

The tax levy will amount to $45.11 per $100,000 of assessed property value for Regional District of Nanaimo residents, which is a 28.2 per cent increase from last year, with another planned increase of 28.2 per cent in coming years.

Five capital planning priorities for the board include a new patient tower, cancer centre, cardiac catheterization lab and high acuity unit for the hospital and a new long-term care facility.

The B.C. government has approved three projects to go ahead, the high acuity unit, the cancer care centre concept plan, and a long-term are facility in Lantzville.

Laura BroughamLaura Brougham

Recent Stories

Send us your news tips and videos!