A smoky skies bulletin has been issued by the province and local health authorities, as wildfires continue to burn in many areas of B.C.
The notice advises that exposure to smoke may affect individuals health, and People with pre-existing health conditions, the elderly, infants, children and sensitive individuals are also more likely to experience health effects from smoke exposure.
The following areas of Vancouver Island are under the bulletin:
- North Vancouver Island — Port Hardy, Port McNeill, Port Alice, Bull Harbour,
Alert Bay, Sayward, and Woss
- Inland Vancouver Island — Lake Cowichan, Nahmint, Port Alberni, central portions
of Strathcona Park and Schoen Lake Provincial Park
- East Vancouver Island (north)— Courtenay, Comox, Cumberland, and Campbell
- East Vancouver Island (central)— includes Nanoose Bay, Parksville, Coombs, Qualicum
Beach, Fanny Bay, Hornby Island
- East Vancouver Island (south) — Duncan, Crofton, Ladysmith, Cedar, and
The public is asked to monitor their symptoms, If you are experiencing difficulty in breathing, chest pain or discomfort, or a severe cough, the notice says to contact your health care provider, walk-in clinic, or emergency department. If you are having a medical emergency, call 9-1-1.