Shifting dynamics tighten B.C. Election race in its final days: Angus Reid

Shifting dynamics tighten B.C. Election race in its final days: Angus Reid

The latest survey from the Angus Reid Institute has the election race in B.C. tightening in its final few days.

According to the marketing institute, early voters heavily favoured the NDP, however, those yet to vote are split almost evenly between the two main parties.

In a survey released by the non-profit Angus Reid Institute on October 20, the data shows that the gap between the BC NDP and the BC Liberals is narrowing as the campaigning enters its last stretch.

“New Democrats may continue to hold a comfortable lead but have shed a handful of points to the BC Liberals and BC Greens since last week as those yet to vote think more seriously about their choices,” reads a statement from the research institute.

Angus Reid says that the BC NDP still holds a “notable, but shrunken” lead over previous polls released during the campaign.

Since last week, the Angus Reid survey suggests that the support for the party has dropped four points to 45 per cent. The BC Liberals have gained two points over last week, moving to 35 per cent, while the Greens are also up two points to 16 per cent.

Angus Reid

“The results suggest that those who have already voted – a group more heavily concentrated in Metro Vancouver and on Vancouver Island – overwhelmingly supported the NDP,” reads a statement from the Angus Reid Institute.

“By contrast, among those yet to vote – more likely to be found in Northern and Interior BC and the Fraser Valley – the race is much more competitive, with voters almost evenly divided between the NDP and Liberals.”

One theme that the institute has picked up on over this campaign is a “relative ambivalence” being shown by British Columbians towards the parties and their leaders.

Angus Reid says that while just under half (46%) of voters say they are motivated by a party and what it stands for, the other half (54%) are determined to block a party they don’t like.

Angus Reid adds that among those who say they will vote for the BC Liberals this sentiment rises to 71 per cent.

Also revealed in this survey, the institute highlights that voters are split between wanting an NDP majority (35%) an NDP minority (23%) and a Liberal majority (22%).

Graham CoxGraham Cox

Recent Stories

Send us your news tips and videos!