Shawn Mendes says he’s cancelling the remainder of his tour dates in North America, the United Kingdom and Europe into 2023 as he focuses on his mental health.
In a statement on Twitter, Mendes said this decision was made with his team and a group of health professionals.
“I started this tour excited to finally get back to playing live after a long break due to the pandemic, but the reality is I was not at all ready for how difficult touring would be after this long time away,” Mendes wrote in a Twitter post July 27.
“After speaking more with my team and working with an incredible group of health professionals, it has become more clear that I need to take the time I’ve never taken personally, to ground myself and come back stronger.”
— Shawn Mendes (@ShawnMendes) July 27, 2022
This announcement comes after Mendes previously announced a three-week pause of his tour for mental health reasons.
“I’ve been touring since I was 15 and to be honest it’s always been difficult to be on the road away from friends and family,” he wrote on July 8.
“After a few years off the road, I felt like I was ready to dive back in, but that decision was premature and unfortunately the toll of the road and the pressure has caught up to me and I’ve hit a breaking point.”
In the post, Mendes says he is hopeful some of the dates may be able to continue after a break, but he is taking the time of to focus on his health.
— Shawn Mendes (@ShawnMendes) July 9, 2022
The Canadian pop singer began his Wonder world tour on June 27 in Portland, Ore., the first of more than 80 scheduled tour dates that wind through North America into the fall before heading to Europe in 2023.
His schedule had him playing numerous back-to-back nights in different cities with single-day breaks between many of the dates.