Prince Harry of Wales and actor Meghan Markle will tie the knot in the spring, with their engagement announced Monday morning.
Prince Charles’ office made the announcement, saying the wedding will take place in the spring of 2018 and further details will be announced “in due course.”
Harry told reporters that he was thrilled, while Markle said she was “so happy.”
Harry and Markle met through friends in London in July 2016.
Senior royals, politicians and religious leaders are congratulating the pair on their engagement, as Prince William and his wife Kate say they are excited for the couple.
British Prime Minister Theresa May offered her “very warmest congratulations,” and Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Wilby, who heads the Church of England, said he was “absolutely delighted.”
I would like to offer my very warmest congratulations to HRH Prince Harry and Meghan Markle upon their engagement.
This is a time of huge celebration for two people in love and, on behalf of myself, the Government and the country, I wish them great happiness for the future. https://t.co/Sfx76X98BW
— Theresa May (@theresa_may) November 27, 2017
Markle had been living in Toronto while working on the legal drama “Suits”.
She recently left the show as the couple say they plan to live in Nottingham Cottage at Kensington Palace.
With files from the Canadian Press.