Another roundabout will be built near the Victoria International Airport.
The municipalities of Sidney, North Saanich and the Victoria Airport Authority have agreed to build a roundabout at the intersection of Beacon Avenue West and Galaran Road for an estimated cost of $4.9 million, according to a press release on the Town of Sidney’s website.
Stirling Avenue will also be realigned to connect to the roundabout, as a result of the infrastructure project, which is aimed at improving public safety, reducing congestion, and supporting economic development in the area.
Sidney and Victoria Airport Authority will cover 80 per cent of the project’s costs while the District of North Saanich will cover the remaining 20 per cent. Sidney and the airport authority are splitting their portion of the costs evenly.
“It is exciting to see this much-needed improvement to West Sidney’s transportation infrastructure coming to fruition. Our future looks brighter when we have the infrastructure to support economic growth and the needs of residents in our wider community,” Mayor Cliff McNeil-Smith said in a statement.
The new roundabout brings the total number of roundabouts in the area to six. Two roundabouts are located on Willingdon Road while three are on McTavish Road and Lochside Drive.
Designs are forthcoming and the project is expected to be completed by next fall.