Quick thinking neighbours help stop spread of mobile home fire on Songhees Nation territory


The quick action of neighbours is credited with limiting damage in a mobile home fire on Monday evening.

Fire crews from View Royal and Colwood were called to the mobile home park on Middle Road  on Songhees Nation territory just before 6 p.m.

Two people were inside when the fire started in the kitchen.

“It appears there is no working smoke alarm in this house,” said View Royal Fire Chief Paul Hurst.

“The only reason the fire as detected was because a neighbour saw the flames and called 911,  neighbours came over and started to control it with a garden hose.”

One of the two people inside at the time was taken to hospital for treatment.

Hurst says neighbours helped limit major fire damage to the kitchen. There is also some damage to the structure’s exterior.

Fire officials do not believe the cause was suspicious but their investigation continues.




Ben O'HaraBen O'Hara

Recent Stories

Send us your news tips and videos!