One person was sent to hospital after being rescued by from a fourplex by fire crews on the Songhees Nation Saturday morning.
View Royal and Colwood fire rescue’s responded following reports of a structure fire just before 6 a.m. on Chief Robert Sam Lane.
They arrived to find that everyone except one occupant had made their way out of the two storey building.
Crews found the resident unconscious in the kitchen where the fire started, and transferred them to B.C. Ambulance where they were treated for smoke inhalation.
The fire started at the stovetop and had spread to the cabinets, but was quickly extinguished. View Royal Fire Rescue assistant fire chief Rob Marshall says the investigation found the incident to not be suspicious.
The single unit was damaged but emergency support services from View Royal and Colwood were on the scene to assist the person impacted.
Sixteen firefighters in total from both View Royal and Colwood were on the scene.