The City of Victoria is looking to move ahead with plans to once again use the former Boys and Girls club on Yates Street as transitional housing this winter.
Neighbours took part in a meeting with representatives from the City, VicPD, B.C. Housing and Our Place on Wednesday evening to ask questions and voice any concerns.
The gathering was at Central Middle School, right across from the proposed facility.
The same building was used last year to house 40 people and the mayor hailed the project a success, but neighbours had some concerns particularly surrounding drug use and petty crime.
“Our front door was pried open using a crowbar, they got into our underground parking, they damaged a vehicle, they stole property,” said one speaker who lives in a condo across the street.
Don Evans of Our Place said there will be additional security this time.
He also said the extra facility will meet a desperate need for more shelter spaces
“We’re turning away people from all the shelters that we have,” said Evans.
“Last night there were 28 people turned away from the First Metropolitan shelter, there’s a big demand for this.”
If approved, the facility would once again only be used temporarily, in this case for next six months.
Victoria City Council is due to debate the issue at a regular meeting on Thursday.