Man accidentally swallows wireless earbud while sleeping

Man accidentally swallows wireless earbud while sleeping

A Massachusetts man is warning people against using headphones while falling asleep after healthcare workers had to remove a wireless earbud from his esophagus.

Worcester resident Brad Gauthier, who detailed his bizarre experience in a Facebook post and to NBC Boston 10, said he went to bed Monday listening to music and feeling fine.

He said he woke up Tuesday, shovelled snow for about an hour, and then went inside to take a sip of water. But the liquid wouldn’t go down, and he had to lean over to drain it from his throat.

Gauthier then noticed he was missing one of his two wireless AirPods, which he said typically uses as he falls asleep.

Gauthier’s son suggested that perhaps his father had swallowed the earbud, which is exactly what an X-ray at a local emergency clinic revealed. The small plastic device was lodged in his lower esophagus.

Gauthier said he never experienced more than minor discomfort and told NBC Boston 10 that he wanted to share his experience to caution others not to sleep with their headphones.

The Associated Press

The Associated PressThe Associated Press

Recent Stories

Send us your news tips and videos!