Island Health warns of fruiting ‘death cap’ mushrooms around Greater Victoria

Island Health warns of fruiting 'death cap' mushrooms around Greater Victoria
Island Health
Island Health is warning of fruiting "death cap" mushrooms in Greater Victoria, that can cause serious poisoning.

Island Health is advising the public to use caution when picking wild mushrooms, with a type that is fruiting and can cause serious poisoning.

The health authority says amanita phalloides or “Death Cap” mushrooms can cause severe illness and could be lethal if ingested by people, especially children.

Island Health says the mushrooms are also dangerous to pets.

If you think you may have consumed a poisonous mushroom, Island Health urges you to go to the nearest hospital, keep a sample of the mushroom for testing and call the BC Drug and Poison Information Centre at 1-800-567-8911 or call 911.

Last Thursday, the Victoria Humane Society reported a 16-week-old puppy died after ingesting mushrooms.


Recent Stories

Send us your news tips and videos!