Victoria Fire Department crews responded to a house fire late Wednesday night that has left five residents displaced and seeking help from the Red Cross.
According to authorities, firefighters received multiple 911 calls shortly after 11 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 12 for reports of flames and smoke coming from a building located at 2220 Shelbourne Street in Victoria.
Crews arrived on the scene within minutes of the first report and found that flames were visible from two windows near the rear of the building.
Firefighters say they quickly got to work on the structure fire and were able to knock down the flames quickly that had engulfed parts of both the interior and exterior of the house.
Officials note that the house contains multiple suites, however, firefighters were able to contain the blaze to the unit of origin.
“The fire damage was contained to the top floor suite, but both smoke and water damage were extensive throughout the building,” the Victoria Fire Department said.
As a result of the smoke and water damage, multiple suites within the home have been impacted and are unable to be lived in at this time.
Five residents living at the house have been displaced and will be seeking help with temporary accommodation from the Canadian Red Cross in Victoria.
Officials believe that the fire was accidental in nature and sparked from the back porch, possibly from discarded smoking materials.
The fire department also notes that no injuries have been reported from the incident.
It is estimated that the property sustained around $250,000 in damages as a result of the blaze.
According to officials, the tenants didn’t have renters insurance.
“Please ensure that you have current insurance for your valuables,” the fire department advises.
Sixteen firefighters and five trucks responded to the call on Wednesday night.