A well-known South Island event is planning a comeback this September.
The organizers of Esquimalt Ribfest say they’ll be making a return to Bullen Park this Sept. 10, 11 and 12.
“We are planning for a ‘full steam ahead’ event with a few contingencies in place if the current health situation changes, but B.C. is doing OK right now and we think a complete return to normal is possible,” said event chair Tom Woods.
The event has already booked six teams to serve up finger-licking good ribs and 21 musical acts to keep attendees entertained.
Woods says the annual event, which was cancelled last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic, has raised $800,000 for local charities over the last eight years.
“This year will also see the introduction of the Blue Buffalo Saloon — a large, western-themed corporate tent near the dance floor that can be booked by companies, groups, grad reunions, teams, etc.,” said Woods. The tent will have room for 100 guests, he added.
Woods said the event will continue to follow provincial health guidelines despite the province being in Step 4 of its reopening plan by that time.
That includes policies like social distancing, hand-washing and recommendations of masks.
The news comes a day after B.C. reported another 267 new COVID-19 cases over the weekend, including 18 in Island Health.
“The recent slight uptick is worrisome but if we can stay on a positive trajectory, we should be cooking come September,” he said.