No one was injured and a home was saved, after a roof fire sparked by a wood burning stove in Saanich.

Saanich fire crews responded to the 500-block of West Saanich Road Monday and arrived to find one of the residents attempting to battle the blaze.

Crews were able to get the man off the roof, as the fire was burning under him.

“He could’ve fallen through the roof. If the structure burnt longer, he would’ve gone through the roof,” said Aaron Charlton, Acting Saanich Fire Department captain.

Crews suspect the fire started when a spark from the wood burning stove in the home ignited the wood shingles.

They’re reminding the public to let firefighters do their job and put their own safety first

CHEK News