Residents in the Greater Victoria region are being urged to avoid entering water along the shorelines in certain areas due to recent stormwater and wastewater discharge.
The Capital Regional District on Monday issued a discharge notice, alerting that there have been stormwater and wastewater overflows along a handful of shorelines in the region due to “high-intensity” rain.
The areas affected are:
- Between Arbutus Cove Lane and Telegraph Bay Road including Arbutus Cove, Finnerty Cove and Telegraph Cove in Saanich
- Between Seaview Road (Saanich) and Currie Road (Oak Bay) including Cadboro Bay and Willows Beach
- Between Radcliffe Lane (Oak Bay) and Cook Street (Victoria) including Clover Point, Ross Bay, Gonzales Bay and McNeill Bay.
- Marigold Road into Colquitz Creek in Saanich
- Craigflower Road into Portage Inlet in Saanich
The CRD says residents should avoid entering the waters along the affected shorelines, as the wastewater may pose a health risk.