A COVID-19 outbreak was declared at the largest hospital in the Mid-Island earlier this week.
The outbreak was confirmed on Jan. 3 on the second floor “2 OC” unit of the Nanaimo Regional General Hospital, a spokesperson for Island Health tells CHEK News.
As of Thursday, there have been five cases of COVID-19 linked to the outbreak. All affected patients are experiencing mild illness at this time, according to Island Health.
“It is important to note, the outbreak declaration is limited to the unit on the second floor,” said the health authority in a statement to CHEK News.
“No other areas of the site are affected by this outbreak, NRGH remains a safe place to seek care, and people should not avoid seeking emergency care or attending appointments,” the statement adds.
Signs have been posted outside the affected unit, and on-site support workers with Infection Prevention and Control Resources have been called in.
There has also been increased cleaning in the affected unit, according to Island Health.
“Protecting the health and safety of our patients, staff, medical staff, students and volunteers is a top priority for Island Health,” said the health authority.
This week’s outbreak comes after another COVID-19 outbreak was declared at NRGH, which spanned from Dec. 12 and Dec. 22.
Last month’s outbreak and this week’s outbreak are unrelated, according to Island Health.
Other illness outbreaks
Two other outbreaks have been declared at Island Health facilities, though neither are related to COVID-19.
On Jan. 1, an outbreak of Influenza A was declared at the Views at St Joseph’s, an assisted living facility in Comox.
Meanwhile, a “gastrointestinal or norovirus-like illness” outbreak was declared at Victoria General Hospital on Dec. 28.
It is affecting Unit North 6C of the hospital, and Island Health is still testing to see what the exact illness is, according to the Island Health Active Outbreak List website.