An outbreak of the novel coronavirus at a long-term care facility in the Harbour City is no more.
Island Health declared an ongoing COVID-19 outbreak at Eden Gardens long-term care home in Nanaimo over on Monday.
The health authority had declared an outbreak at the facility back on Feb. 14, after one staff member tested positive for the deadly virus.
Initially, the outbreak had been limited to one floor at Eden Gardens, but later spread to the entire facility after an additional case was later identified in a resident.
All 127 residents and 246 staff were eventually tested for the virus and a series of restrictions were implemented at the facility in an effort to reduce further spread of the virus.
“The team at Eden Gardens is to be commended for their exceptional work ensuring the outbreak did not spread further and continuing to provide high-quality care under challenging circumstances,” Island Health said in a media release.
With the outbreak now over, Island Health says social visits, admissions, transfers, and congregate dining — with COVID-19 safety protocols in place — will now resume at Eden Gardens.
“Diligent infection prevention measures and appropriate use of personal protective equipment will continue,” the health authority added.
Eden Gardens, located on Northfield Road, is owned by the Nanaimo Travellers Lodge Society.
RELATED: Additional case of COVID-19 detected amid Eden Gardens outbreak in Nanaimo