A ban on indoor dining at restaurants and pubs in British Columbia will likely be extended.
The B.C. Restaurant and Foodservices Association says based on recent discussions with Dr. Bonnie Henry and other industry colleagues, an existing ban on in-restaurant dining will be extended beyond the April 19 deadline and into May.
“This is a result of the continued high number of daily cases and the province’s goal to have restrictions in place that avoid socialization and gathering indoors, for now,” BCRFA said in its statement issued Tuesday evening.
A spokesperson for Premier John Horgan told CHEK News in a statement that an announcement on any such extension has not been made, but hinted that it could happen.
“We have not announced an extension but we are preparing for all eventualities,” a spokesperson for Premier Horgan said in a statement to CHEK News.
Jeff Guignard, executive director at Alliance of Beverage Licensees (ABLE BC), confirmed with CHEK News that Henry has indicated that is “highly likely” the ban will be extended and that it will likely go beyond the May long weekend.
BCRFA’s statement comes on the same day health officials reported 873 new coronavirus case. While that is down slightly from the more than 1,100 cases reported last week, it’s still well above the roughly 500 cases per day that were being reported just a few weeks ago.
Officials also introduced a “circuit breaker” measures back on March 29, restricting all indoor adult group fitness activities, in an effort to control rising infections.
RELATED: Tougher COVID-19 restrictions in B.C., including travel, still ‘on the table’: Horgan