The BC SPCA is dropping the price of its adoption fees in half at all its Vancouver Island locations as it relocates animals affected by wildfires to other branches in the province.
The 50 per cent off promotion runs from Aug. 24 to Sept. 1 at branches on Vancouver Island, as well as in Salt Spring Island, Vancouver, Powell River and the Sunshine Coast.
“Through the BC SPCA’s Drive for Lives program, we have been able to move most of our adoptable pets out of the fire-affected areas so they can get a fresh start,” said Breanne Beckett, BC SPCA senior manager of animal care services for the Victoria area.
“This promotion is a great way for us to find these incredible animals their new homes faster while also freeing up capacity for emergency boarding of animals impacted by the fires,” she said.
The offer applies to all “companion animals,” including dogs, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs and other small animals.
The SPCA notes that while the fee may be lowered over the next week, adoption requirements have not changed.
“Potential adopters still need to fill out an application and meet the animal to make sure it is a good fit for everyone,” said Beckett.
“We want the future guardians to be fully aware of the commitment involved when you bring home a new family member,” she said.
The promotion is available at the following BC SPCA locations:
- Campbell River – 891 13th Ave, Campbell River
- Comox Valley – 1668 Ryan Rd E, Comox
- Cowichan – 550 Bell McKinnon Rd, Duncan
- Nanaimo – 154 Westwood Rd, Nanaimo
- Parksville-Qualicum Beach – 1565 Alberni Hwy, Parksville
- Powell River – 7558 Duncan St, Powell River
- Salt Spring Island – 540 Lower Ganges Rd, Salt Spring Island
- Sunshine Coast – 4376 Solar Road, Sechelt
- Vancouver – 1205 E 7th Ave, Vancouver
- Victoria – 3150 Napier Ln, Victoria