BC Ferries has revealed that the company has seen a significant drop in traffic following the latest COVID-19 restrictions, implemented last Thursday.
According to the company’s executive director of public affairs, Deborah Marshall, vehicle traffic has been down approximately 50 per cent since the province put restrictions on non-essential travel.
Marshall says that passenger traffic is also down 65 per cent with fewer walk-ons.
“People are definitely getting the message to avoid non-essential travel, which we see as a positive,” Marshall told CHEK News on Monday.
B.C. Premier John Horgan announced last week that non-essential travel across the province would be prohibited for two weeks as health officials attempt to reduce the spread of the latest surge of COVID-19.
The travel restrictions came into effect on Thursday, November 19, although a provincial order was not officially issued.
Although BC Ferries has seen regular traffic drop since the limitations on non-essential travel, Marshall says that the company continues to move goods and supplies in order to keep grocery stores stocked.
“It has affected our finical position with the drop in traffic, but I think everybody needs to do their part right now and help to flatten the curve, so please heed Dr. Henry’s advice and curb your travel to essential purposes only.”
The new advisory on non-essential travel came alongside several other provincial restrictions aimed at combatting the spike in COVID-19 cases in B.C.
Dr. Bonnie Henry and health minister Adrian Dix recently mandated masks be worn in all indoor public spaces, except schools, and limited social gatherings to immediate household members only.