A&W in Esquimalt evacuated following Hazmat situation

CHEK

The A&W restaurant in the 800 Block of Esquimalt Road was evacuated Friday around noon due to a Hazmat situation.

Officials say that a chemical reaction took place after a staff member improperly mixed two cleaning chemicals ? creating a chlorine gas.

Hazmat crews arrived around 1 p.m. and are evaluating the scene.

No one was injured, but the 800 Block of Esquimalt road will remain closed for now as Hazmat teams have set up a pool in the street to wash down their gear.

The A&W on the 800 Block of Esquimalt road. Photo courtesy of Google

The A&W on the 800 Block of Esquimalt road. Photo courtesy of Google

Julian KolsutJulian Kolsut

Recent Stories

Send us your news tips and videos!