Island Health has declared a new COVID-19 exposure connected to a school in Victoria.
A notice posted on the Island Health website says the latest exposure was on Nov. 16-17 at the Victoria School For Ideal Education, located at 2820 Belmont Ave.
The private school houses students from Kindergarten through to Grade 8.
This marks the second school in the city to announce a COVID-19 exposure in the past week, as Lakeview Christian School reported an exposure last Friday.
According to Island Health, exposure is defined as a single person with lab-confirmed COVID-19 infection who attended school during their infectious period.
A cluster is when two or more individuals with lab-confirmed COVID-19 infection who attended school during their infectious period. The cases may be linked to school-based transmission.
And an outbreak is when multiple individuals with lab-confirmed COVID-19 infection when transmission is likely widespread within the school setting.
According to Island Health, if a parent or guardian sees a notification on the Island Health school exposure site does not necessarily mean their child has been exposed to COVID-19.
Island Health said Public Health members work with the school and school district to ensure close contacts are notified directly and provided specific guidance.
If a parent or guardian does not receive a phone call or letter from Public Health, a child can continue to attend school, Island Health said.
More information and resources regarding schools and COVID-19 is available at bccdc.ca/covid19
There are six other school exposures reported in the Island Health region:
Island Health has six current COVID-19 school exposures listed:
- A cluster at Dover Bay Secondary, 6135 McGirr Rd. Nanaimo on Nov. 2, 5, 6.
- A cluster at John Barsby Secondary 550 Seventh St. Nanaimo. The first exposure was on Nov. 5,6. The second exposure was Nov. 9, 10.
- An exposure at Frank J Ney Elementary 5301 Williamson Rd. Nanaimo on Nov. 12.
- A cluster at Randerson Ridge Elementary 6021 Nelson Rd., Nanaimo on Nov. 4,5,6, 9, 10
- An exposure at Ladysmith Secondary School 710 6th Ave. Ladysmith on Nov. 9, 10, 12, 13
- An exposure at Alberni District Secondary School 4000 Roger St. Port Alberni on Nov. 12, 13
- An exposure at Lakeview Christian School on Nov. 16