A report of a youth being assaulted with a knife led to a large police presence in Nanaimo last Thursday, but it turns out the incident was fabricated, according to RCMP.
On Nov. 16 around 3:30 p.m., Mounties were called to an area near the McDonald’s restaurant on Bowen Road, said Nanaimo RCMP in a news release Monday.
The alleged victim, 12, reported he had been assaulted with a knife, and also provided police with a description of the suspect.
Officers responded “within minutes,” said RCMP. Officers detained three people, all men, including a man whom the young had identified.
“After reviewing the store video surveillance and speaking with the youth, police determined the assault did not occur and that the youth had fabricated the entire incident,” said RCMP.
RCMP says two of the men detained were released without charge while a third man, 43, was arrested on outstanding warrants from Comox and Oceanside. He was later released on an appearance notice and has a Nov. 21 court date in Nanaimo.
The youth, meanwhile, was turned over to the care of his parents.
RCMP R/Const. Gary O’Brien adds that school liaison unit investigators “will be following up with the youth and his parents to ensure the young man understands the gravity of his actions, and to ensure it does not happen again.”
False allegation leads to large police presence https://t.co/PHQQHF0owp
— Nanaimo RCMP (@NanaimoRCMP) November 20, 2023