Photo: GVHA

An integral part of Victoria’s Inner Harbour, Ship Point will reopen on Saturday, May 10th following a six-month, $1.8 million repair project.

Work on the 70-year-old structure began last October.

It included replacing some of the original timber piles with new steel piles and replacement timber beams.

The project was scheduled to be finished by April, it faced short delays due to inclement winter weather.

The Greater Victoria Harbour Authority says the repair work, carried out by Salish Seas Industrial Services, came in under the initial budget.

 “We are pleased to have Ship Point back in service prior to the busy summer season,” said GVHA CEO Ian Robertson.

“In time for events such as the Victoria Cool Aid Society Homecoming Gala, Northwest Deuce Days, the Victoria Dragon Boat Festival, and weekend artisans’ marketplace.”

The GVHA owns 65% of the pier, while the City of Victoria owns the other 35%.

Ben O'Hara