Tseshaht First Nation calls for inquest into death of Chantel Moore

Tseshaht First Nation calls for inquest into death of Chantel Moore
WatchThe Tseshaht First Nation is calling for an inquest after Chantel Moore was shot dead by police in New Brunswick.

Family, friends and First Nation governments are calling for a coroner’s inquest into the death of Chantel Moore, who was shot and killed by a police officer in New Brunswick.

The 26-year-old woman had previously lived on the Tseshaht First Nation, in the Alberni Valley, for close to two years before setting out just over three months ago for a new life in Edmundston, New Brunswick.

On Thursday, her life was cut short after she was shot dead by a police officer.

“She never ever showed any signs of aggression here, never, never once,” said Martin Watts, the father of Moore’s ex-boyfriend.

“So it came to a shock to hear that was the reasoning behind her being shot.”

Police say they were performing a safety check at the apartment she had just moved into.

They say she charged at the officer with a knife and that’s why he shot her.

Her family says they were told she was shot five times.

The incident was just hours after she talked to her former boyfriend in the Alberni Valley.

“He had told us he had had been chatting with her anywhere between nine and 10 o’clock live online. She was saying that she felt lonely,” said Watts.

Moore had lived in the Alberni Valley for close to six years, working two years at the Tseshaht Market and dating Martin Watts’s youngest son for close to two years before Moore amicably parted to live with her mother and daughter in New Brunswick.

Last night, a vigil on the Tsesaht First Nation drew more than 100 people. They shared memories and songs.

The Tseshaht First Nation is among others calling for an independent investigation with Indigenous involvement and an inquest with resources for family and First Nations to take part.

“It was a pretty comprehensive motion that council passed given our relationship with Chantel. The fact that she worked for us two years and left a lot of friends on this reserve when she was killed by the police,” said Hugh Braker, a Tseshaht First Nation Councillor.

On Friday, Canada’s Indigenous Services Minister said he too wants answers.

“I don’t understand how somebody dies during a wellness check. I’m pissed I’m outraged. This is a pattern that keeps repeating itself,” said Marc Miller during a news conference in Ottawa.

A GoFundMe created yesterday to help six family members travel to New Brunswick to observe First Nation grieving protocols, as well as help Moore’s 5-year-old daughter, has raised more than $90,000.

Kendall HansonKendall Hanson

Recent Stories

Send us your news tips and videos!