Three Victoria police officers are being credited with saving the life of a man who was overdosing and choking on a sandwich at the same time.
On Aug. 21, officers were in the 900-block of Craigflower Road for an unrelated matter when a woman found them and said that her son was overdosing and choking on a sandwich in a parking lot close by.
Two officers were able to hold the man while a third officer use abdominal thrusts to get rid of the food.
A fourth officer administered naloxone once he arrived at the parking lot. One of the officers established an airway and gave rescue breaths with a bag-valve mask.
The man did regain conciousness and was treated by B.C. Emergency Health Services before being taken to the hospital. He has since been released from the hospital.
So far this year, VicPD officers have administered naloxone 11 times to people who were overdosing.