A chlorine leak prompted an evacuation at the Saanich Commonwealth Place Friday afternoon.
No one was injured, and the facility is now back to its usual schedule.
At around 4 p.m. April 7, Saanich Fire and CRD HAZMAT crews were called out to the recreation centre for a chlorine leak.
When the alarms detected the leak, staff at the facility quickly evacuated those inside and the systems emergency shutoff worked as intended — engaging immediately.
“From what we can tell, the building system is doing exactly what it’s supposed to do, which is shut down the system and evacuate any of the air inside its atmosphere,” said Saanich’s assistant deputy fire chief, Craig Ford. “The Commonwealth pool staff did a great job of evacuating everybody out of the building, so there’s been no injuries.”
He added that the fire crews performed a sweep on the building and found no one inside and that he believes the leak was contained to the chlorine room itself.
Staff at the facility say the maintenance team have found the leak and repaired it. There is no risk to the public as a result of this incident.
RELATED: Saanich Pool embraces cold temps as facility undergoes boiler upgrades
Thanks @SaanichFire for responding at SCP today. Emergency shutoff engaged when systems noticed a chlorine leak. Facility was closed to the public at the time. Leak was identified and repaired. No risk to public & no injuries reported.
SCP will reopen as scheduled Sat morning. https://t.co/Qdf79cUqBQ
— Saanich Parks, Recreation & Community Services (@SaanichParksRec) April 8, 2023