Quick action by Hartland employee prevents landfill fire

Quick action by Hartland employee prevents landfill fire
The Capital Regional District says an employee spotted a smoking laptop before it was able to catch fire.

An improperly disposed laptop was prevented from causing a landfill fire due to the quick actions of a Hartland employee.

In a post on Instagram, the Capital Regional District says an employee at the landfill noticed smoke and alerted a supervisor.

The supervisor found the source was a laptop with a lithium-ion battery, and assessed that it was only smoking so it was able to be put out with a fire extinguisher.

“If the laptop was left longer, without intervention, it could have caused a landfill fire,” the post says.

The district is asking people to properly dispose of hazardous materials like electronics to prevent fires. Household hazardous waste (HHW) can be returned to the Hartland Depot at 1 Hartland Avenue for free.

“HHW is dangerous to people, pets and the environment. If hazardous wastes are put in the garbage or poured into the sewer or storm drain, they create environmental and public health hazards,” the CRD’s website says.

“If disposed of incorrectly, toxic materials can harm aquatic life, destroy sensitive ecosystems and pollute recreational sites and water supplies. They may be unsafe for sewage or garbage operators and can damage equipment.”

Hazardous materials include batteries, paints, solvents, pesticides, gasoline, oil, pharmaceuticals and antifreeze.

A full list of items accepted at the depot can be found on the CRD’s website.

RELATED: Almost half of the material received at Hartland landfill shouldn’t be there

Laura BroughamLaura Brougham

Recent Stories

Send us your news tips and videos!