Port Alberni has issued a notice that the main water supply has been damaged and that the city is under Stage 3 water restrictions.
The damage was due to an accident on Franklin River Road.
The city and Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District have activated the Emergency Operations Centre and have placed Stage 3 water restrictions into effect for the City of Port Alberni, Hupacasath First Nation, Tseshaht First Nation, and the Beaver Creek Water Local Service Area, and the Franklin River Road area.
Water quality is unaffected and continues to be safe for consumption and the city is asking residents to limit water use to essential reasons only.
Under Stage 3, the following activities are prohibited:
- Refilling private pools, spas, or garden ponds and public and commercial fountains
- Outdoor washing of cars and boats
- Washing driveways and sidewalks
And the following are restricted:
- Watering lawns, trees, shrubs and flowers
- Sprinkler watering vegetable gardens
- Watering public parks, playing fields, boulevards, and planters
Earlier in the day, the Port Alberni Fire Department was responding to a commercial vehicle that went over an embankment on Franklin River Road.