Police looking for a suspect after finding explosive at North Cowichan motel

Police looking for a suspect after finding explosive at North Cowichan motel
Mike Pescod/Submitted
North Cowichan RCMP on scene at the Falcon Nest on May 18, 2020.

Police are still investigating after finding an explosive device in a North Cowichan motel.

Police discovered it Monday while conducting a search in a room.

Those staying at the Falcon Nest motel watched from outside a police perimeter as the RCMP’s Explosive Disposal Unit from the Lower Mainland moved in.

Miranda Hanson lives at the motel with her family. She says the discovery was unnerving.

“My nerves are just kind of shot like I live right above where the bomb was,” said the mother of three children.

Hanson says the incident started early Monday morning when a woman began hitting a motel room door with an axe.

RCMP officers were soon at the scene.

“Over the course of the investigation at this location a search warrant was executed and an improvised explosive device was located,” said Const. Carlie McCann of North Cowichan/Duncan RCMP.

Police told people those at the motel to leave immediately.

“I pretty much started screaming to get out,” said Hanson.

Hours later, the explosive team moved in and brought out the device.

“Talking to one of the police officers, he was saying they had to bring them in because the bomb was as long as my arm and as thick as my arm and they couldn’t just use the black bag,” said Hanson.

“It was seized and safely detonated by the explosives disposal unit. They were able to gather some evidence related to it as well that is going to assist in prosecution down the line,” said McCann.

Police arrested a 36-year-old man who lives in the unit the bomb was found in. He was charged with five counts but after spending the night in jail, Crown Counsel stayed the charges in court today and he was released.

“It’s so hard to wrap your head around that somebody you knew would have a bomb right under your kids. Right where they were sleeping so I just didn’t think and I hope to God that it wasn’t him,” said Hanson.

Hanson says she just feels so fortunate the situation had a positive outcome.

“I’m thanking God everyday for mine and my family’s life. I’m telling you. We’re very lucky to be here and be alive,” she said.

Police say a lot of credit should go to the officers who saw and recognized the explosive and ensured it was dealt with safely.

Our first coverage of the story can be found here.

Kendall HansonKendall Hanson

Recent Stories

Send us your news tips and videos!