Heat lamps used to keep animals warm causes Nanaimo house fire

Heat lamps used to keep animals warm causes Nanaimo house fire
Six people are displaced after a home in Nanaimo's north end was badly damaged by fire overnight

Officials says heating lamps being used to keep pets warm on the back deck started a fire that badly damaged a home in Nanaimo’s north end.

Crews were called to the house on the 4900-block of Ney Drive around 1:45 a.m. Capt. Ennis Mond, head of Nanaimo Fire Rescue’s fire and loss prevention division said when fire crews arrived, the fire had already spread into the attic and was coming through the roof.

Mond said the cause of the fire was heating lamps that was used to keep pets outside on the back lower deck warm.

“Combustible materials near the cages came in contact with the heating lamps and the fire started,” Mond said.

Six people were displaced in the fire. Nanaimo Fire Rescue Chief Karen Fry says the four upper floor occupants were alerted by the smell of smoke coming into their open bedroom window. The two living in the basement were awoken by sounds coming from their exterior deck. Smoke alarms in the units did go off and the homeowner has insurance.

No one was injured in the fire.

Fry says the fire extended up the exterior wall to the deck above causing extensive damage.


Recent Stories

Send us your news tips and videos!