One person was taken to hospital following an early morning fire in Port Alberni.
Crews with the Port Alberni Fire Department responded to a structure fire at a mixed-use building in the 3800-block of Redford Street at around 4:30 a.m. Wednesday.
Beaver Creek Volunteer Fire Department, Cherry Creek Fire Department and Sproat Lake Volunteer Fire Department also attended the scene.
By 5:45 a.m., crews managed to put out the blaze and that one person was transported to West Coast General Hospital.
A spokesperson for the Port Alberni Fire Department told CHEK News the blaze was cooking-related and occurred in the residential unit that was above a commercial suite.
They said the fire appears to have been accidental and that the damage was contained to the unit of origin.
They also said the person transported to the hospital suffered from smoke inhalation.