A reminder tonight of the importance of a working smoke detector in your home, as Victoria firefighters had to put out an oven fire Thursday night.
Multiple fire crews were called just after 5 p.m. to an apartment building in 400-block of Vancouver Street, near Beacon Hill Park.
Authorities say smoke was coming from the backside of the building when firefighters arrived, and flames were discovered in one of the apartment suites.
Fire officials say the occupant fell asleep while cooking and a pot on the stove erupted into flames.
Victoria Fire says he was woken up by the smoke alarm.
The occupant was taken to hospital for smoke inhalation and signs of burns to his tongue from breathing in the smoke.
Fire crews were able to contain the blaze to the lone suite and damage is assessed at around $60,000
Victoria fire says without the smoke detector, the outcome could have been much worse to not only the suite but the entire building.