Officials say weekend house fire in Victoria began on stove

WatchA Victoria home destroyed in a spectacular fire Saturday was being rented out to six people. Not only have some of them lost everything, trying to find another affordable place to rent in a city with a near-zero vacancy rate is proving nearly impossible. April Lawrence reports.
Smoke rises from a fire on Davie Street on Oct. 26, 2019.

A house fire in Victoria that displaced residents and sent one man to the hospital with smoke inhalation started on the stove, according to the Victoria fire chief.

Emergency crews responded to the fire at 1524 Davie Street shortly after 12:30 p.m. on Saturday. The interior of the house was damaged.

Victoria Fire Chief Paul Bruce said the fire began on the stove but whether the stove was accidentally turned on has not been determined.

The people who lived in the home were allowed back Monday afternoon and were allowed to check on their belongings. They were accompanied by an insurance broker.

There were six tenants living in the home and most are staying with friends and family while they try to find new homes to rent.

“The market out there is just terrible, and with pets included, no one wants to rent with animals,” said Samantha Gledhill, who was renting a room in the basement suite.

Gledhill has a cat and one of the upstairs tenants has a dog.

While Gledhill says she has now secured herself an apartment to rent she’s still concerned about her roommates who can’t afford the current rental rates in the city.

A fundraiser for all six tenants is being held on November 4 at Axe & Grind in downtown Victoria from 3 to 10 p.m


Recent Stories

Send us your news tips and videos!